Sunday, December 28, 2014

Christmas Adventures (or mishaps?)

It's the closing of Christmas weekend. I can't say I'm sorry to see it go this year, though the rest of the year was quite a lovely one. It was all fun and games until our girl ended up in the doctor's office with antibiotics for her sinus infection 3 days before Christmas. Luckily, we managed to celebrate my birthday with gusto the next day before the rain fell harder, so to speak. It was a day of firsts: First trip to Nord's Bakery (finally!) and then to Sunergos to enjoy them. Vivi was so excited to have breakfast there before going to school. That evening Rolf and I finally ventured to Rocksport, where I had my first wall climbing experience. So fun! All those lunges and runs have paid off and I wasn't as sore as I anticipated.


Christmas Eve was full of plans like baking, cooking, completion of wrapping, grocery shopping…the works. But Rolf woke up with crippling nausea and was forced to stay in bed all day. Vivi was in a terrible mood and I can't say that mine was any better. She and I braved the rain for what ended up being an hour and a half trip to the grocery, missed church, and ended up at my brother's without Rolf. We were sad pandas. Rolf ventured out to Walgreens for not one but two Redbox movies. He was awfully sad about it, but we muscled through it.

Mom spent the last 5 months--all of her retirement so far--making quilts to give out for Christmas. They turned out so beautiful! This isn't a talent I possess.


Christmas Day was better, though our girl had an epic tantrum after not going to bed early enough, still being sick, and not getting nearly enough snuggles from her daddy the day before. In a nutshell, Rolf and I spent the first 45 minutes of Christmas Day cleaning, periodically asking Vivi if she was ready to see her gifts. She was not. ::shrugs::

Family came over that night and all had improved. She loved the ladybug outfit her cousins picked out for her. That glass of wine in her little hands? I think we both could've used some that night. 




 The rest of the weekend improved, though a quick little kitchen fix became a big sink fiasco when the water quit working. Rolf worked for more than an hour to get it working again:



As our weekend draws to a close, I'm thankful for the time with family and for celebrating the season of joy, but I'm looking forward to a fresh week. I think Vivi's thoughts during our walk this afternoon kind of sums it up: 





No comments: