Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Another one in the books

Tomorrow is the freshest of days as we begin 2014. The skin of 2013 has all but shed and people are prepping to raise a champagne glass as we celebrate its end and the shining hope that each new year brings. Midnight kisses, sequin dresses, and unspoken hopes and goals for the next twelve months fill the air.

Confession: I've never been big on New Year's resolutions. It just seems so arbitrary, creating a list of things you wish to accomplish before the ball drops once more. I can think of maybe two or three times that I've created such lists, undoubtedly after my list-loving husband came into my life and I humored him, in part out of love but partly for the sake of conversation.

What I do enjoy is reflection and looking at the lessons and experiences the year brought. This year I faced some big challenges and joys to match, the highlights of which included: finding a job in my field that offers a better work-home life balance, training for a marathon but dropping out just a couple of miles in due to illness, having emergency surgery, spending two extra days each week with our daughter thanks to the job change, completing a wellness coach course, traveling, reconnecting with family members, and spending precious time with my husband and daughter.

I have said many times before that having my daughter has made me braver. For one, growing a human and giving birth offers a surprising sense of empowerment that I couldn't have ever anticipated. Secondly, I wish, with great fervor, that she will see me as someone to look up to in life. What better way to serve as a role model than to stand firm when necessary, but to show grace often. This is a never-ending learning and growing experience.

As I searched "New Year's quotes" online, I found this quote by the oft rambling yet articulate Mark Twain: 


"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” 

He's got a point.

I turned 30 not even ten days ago and I'm determined for this decade to  be full of: finding the small joys in life, adventure, and most importantly, love. My twenties ended on a high note and I'm hopeful for what my thirties will bring.

In 2014 I plan to use my passion for helping others stay healthy once again. It had gotten lost in the shuffle somewhere after my daughter was born, but it's time to shake off the dust (or baby powder) and bring that back into focus.

As I commit to exploring, dreaming and discovering, I challenge you to do the same. Lord willing, I will begin taking clients for health coaching and post-partum doula work in the late winter or early spring. This is a passion of mine that I've been mapping out for the past year or so and I'm excited for this adventure.

What do you wish to see in your life in 2014?

What does the healthiest, happiest version of you look like?

I am looking for 2-3 people who are interested in discovering that healthiest and happiest version of themselves. Are you or someone you know interested and willing to commit to a few weeks together? If so, email me here:

 My commitment is to recognize your strengths, create a vision and goal(s) for the changes you'd like to see, offer resources and accountability, and challenge you to make changes built to last.

For me, it's about moderation. The changes that you desire should fall into the rhythm of your life. It might be gradual at first. There might be setbacks. But you can't succeed without taking the chance, right?

Happy 2014, y'all. Here's to joy of heart, peace of mind, and a spirit of love as we ring in the new year and in the months ahead.

No comments: