Monday, January 6, 2014

"Winter is...the time for home."


Boy, is that ever true. I tend to prefer hibernation in the winter. While joining a running group with spring races as its focus has helped me get over some of my winter blues in recent years, I'm still no Lover Of All That Is Winter. My poor northerner of a husband.

It was easier to hibernate when we didn't have a busy toddler at home. The little lady can only take the inside of our home for so long before she starts getting cranky. Twice now she's gone in search of her winter vest immediately after my asking her if she'd like to go outside for a walk. Unfortunately it typically takes us longer to prep for and undress her from outdoor activities than the actual time spent outdoors. 

Despite trying to get out for walks to maintain everyone's sanity (including Tina's), lately we've been hanging out in the house a bit more. We've spent the time chasing each other throughout the different rooms, working on finger painting, building block towers, and playing her daddy's favorite game called "Red Shoe Run Around" which doesn't necessarily require red shoes. Basically it means that everyone runs or stomps throughout the house, occasionally falling down (Vivi. Or me.) and always giggling.



Vivi's first time experiencing snow, taken right before Christmas.


I'm also watching in amazement as my girl seems to be growing and changing at lightning speed. I don't know how she knows 20+ words now or has learned 2 more signs or started following directions that we give her or has started CLIMBING as of this week, but she keeps changing before my very eyes. Her giggles are awesome. 
First official set of pigtails while reading a "Little Pookie" book in the kitchen.


The infamous shoes which inspired the game Red Shoe Run Around

Apparently we have been blessed with a very strong-willed child. Can't imagine how the two of us would end up with one of those--oh WAIT--but Lord have mercy, that girl of ours is doing nothing if not teaching me more patience than I knew I was capable of. Rolf's mom says that strong-willed children, when guided well, make for the best adults. I'm counting on it. 

Winter, I'm okay with you being here for the time being. It's January, and it's your time to shine. Just be sure to be gone by late February or so. There are daffodils that will need picking and shorts to wear and little girls who would love to play on playground without donning as many layers as an onion has. 



No comments: